Rubbing alcohol is a great glass cleaner.
Dilute it to 1/2 alcohol 1/2 water and you have a great cleaner that
will not leave blue dye in your carpet if you spill it.
2. Potatoes work well at removing food and grease stains off your fingers. Slice the potato and rub raw it on your hands. It will absorb most of the staine. Wash your hands with warm water and soap. Repeat if neccesary.
3. Bleach is a very powerful product, use it with care. Bleach is great for getting mildew stains out of grout (but don't use it on grout colored grout ..it will bleach it white). Usually you should not use bleach on your hands, but if you ever spill ink on your hands (for example when re-filling a printer ink cartridge, pour a little bleach on your hands and rub the area wher you have the ink stain and then rinse your hands with water and wash with soap and water a few times.(Your hands will become a little warm with the bleach on them as the bleach reacts with your skin, but you will not cause any harm and the stains will magically dissapear!)
4. Use a 1/2 cup of vinegar with a bucket of warm water to damp mop your wood floors. The vinegar supplies the cutting power and will not harm your floors. Be sure to DRY the floors when you are done. Never soak your wood floors .. your mop should only be slighty damp when mopping wood floors.
5. To clean the inside of a glass vase, baby bottle, thermos bottle or any other hard to reach bottle fill it with water and drop one or two Alka-Seltzer tablets in the vase or bottle and let it sit for a while. The citric acid will do a good job of dislodging the dirt inside.
6. If you have run out of drain cleaner and need to unclog a drain, do the following .. crush 3 or 4 Alka-Seltzer tablets and drop the powder in the drain followed by a cup of Vinegar. The Alka-Seltzer/ vinegar combination should cut through the clog. After about 3 or 4 minutes flush the drain with warm water for 3 or 4 minutes. Repeat if neccesary.
7.To have your kids help straighten up the house, give each child a laundry basket and have them go from room to room collecting anything they see that is out of place. When they are done, have them to drop these things off in the room they belong in. It will save you a lot of time and is an easy way to have yor kids help out.
8. Scuff marks on linoleum floors will come up easily with a school eraser or use the front of your tennis shoe as an eraser and "kick" the scuff mark with the front of your shoe and you will see it magically come off the floor!
9. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove fingernail polish out of any carpet. Just pour a dab on stain and rub gently with a rag.
10. Remove stickers from glass or hard surfaces with rubbing alcohol and a cloth
11. Baking soda is great for removing crayon marks on painted and even on plastic surfaces. Sprinkle a small amount on a damp sponge or cloth and wipe the area with the cloth or sponge. On walls uses baking powder and a dry rag will remove crayon on walls. It is like a crayon eraser. Another method to remove crayons off painted walls is to use toothpaste to clean it. Put a little toothpaste on a soft toothbrush, wet and scrub lightly. Use a clean damp rag to clean off the excess.
12. You can remove permanent marker from a hard surface such as a kitchen counter by putting a littl bleach on a rag and wiping the area with the bleach. Rise off with a clean wet rag. Take care not to get the bleach on any other surface.
13. You can remove animal smells and other nasty aromas from carpets and other fabricks by using Borax. Sprinkle evenly and let it sit for 12 hours, then vacuum.
14. Make your own fabric freshener by mixing one part liquid fabric softener with four parts water in a clean spray bottle and mist the areas you want to smell nice. Great to use just before vacuuming because the softener breaks up the static that holds dog or cat hair your rug or furniture.
Speed Cleaning Tips Back to our Home Pages: Mountain Maids
Colorado Springs House Cleaning
Mountain Maids of Denver
Colorado Springs House Cleaning